April 5, 2012
Contact: Diego Silva
Cal Poly Greek Week Events Set to Benefit San Luis Obispo Community Groups
SAN LUIS OBISPO – Cal Poly’s upcoming Greek Week, set for April 15-22, will feature several events and programs aimed at benefitting local community organizations such as United Blood Services, Headstart of SLO, Lucia Mar School District, Food Bank of San Luis Obispo County, Family Care Network and the Maxine Lewis Homeless Shelter.
Events intended to raise both money and awareness for these organizations include: blood drives, Importance of College presentations, restaurant fundraisers, a canned food castle competition, a donut-eating contest, and the largest event of the week: Lip Sync. Greek Week will also feature smaller service events in which chapters will volunteer with groups and sites such as the Prado Day Center, SLO Botanical Gardens, Growing Grounds and Aware Awake Alive.
Last year, members of 25 fraternities and 14 sororities collected 200 pints of blood; raised $3,500 for the Lucia Mar School District and $2,100 for CAPSLO Head Start; collected more than 4,900 toiletry items for the North County Women’s Shelter, and visited hundreds of local elementary school students with inspirational messages.
In addition to service and philanthropy events, this year’s Greek Week will include activities such as Beach Day at Pismo Beach, dodge ball, soccer, football, basketball, a home run derby, and the Cal Poly Multicultural Step show.
The entire Greek Week 2012 schedule can be found on the Greek Life website, greeklife.calpoly.edu, or on Facebook at facebook.com/slogreekweek2012.
Schedule of philanthropy and service events:
- · April 16-20 – 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Penny Wars for Lucia Mar School District, Dexter Lawn
- · April 17-19 – 10 a.m.-3 p.m., blood drive for United Blood Services, Cal Poly Dexter Lawn
- · April 17 – 5:30 p.m. Participation in the Mustang Mile for Aware Awake Alive at Cal Poly.
- · April 18 – Fundraiser for Maxine Lewis Homeless Shelter, the Habit Restaurant, San Luis Obispo
- · April 19 – 11 a.m.-2 p.m., donut-eating contest for Head Start Program of SLO, Alpha Gamma Rho chapter house
- · April 20 – 8 a.m.-2 p.m., Importance of College Education presentations for Judkins, Mesa, and Paulding middle schools and Oceano Elementary, southern San Luis Obispo County
- · April 20 – 6-8 p.m., “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?” with students from Shell Beach Elementary, Dexter Lawn
- · April 21 – noon- 2 p.m., canned food castle competition for the Food Bank of San Luis Obispo County, Santa Rosa Park, San Luis Obispo
- · April 22, 2-6 p.m., Lip Sync to benefit the Family Care Network – Miracle Mile for Kids, Cal Poly Chumash Auditorium.
# # #